‘Bobby Pins’ – The Seasons’s Hottest Little Hair Accessory, plus “7 Winning Pinning Tips” by Joico International Artistic Director Damien Carney
Bra straps. Baby bumps. Bobby pins. Back in the day, all of these things were supposed to stay hidden. Not anymore! Nowadays, lingerie lives on the outside, baby bumps are proudly displayed in form-fitting garb, and bobby pins have become the hottest hair accessory! “They’re fresh, girly and chic,” declares Joico international artistic director Damien Carney, who shares seven ways to pin with aplomb!
1. Get A Lift. Use a row of bobby pins to sweep hair off of the face, opening up the eyes, cheekbones and jawline. “Pinning hair in the right spot can really give features definition and lift,” says Carney.
2. Tame the Bangs. Growing out a fringe? Don’t be bashful! Subdue errant strands with a bold row of bobbies.
3. Make a Bobby Band. Pull hair back and secure it headband style by criss-crossing interlocking bobby pins from ear to ear.
4. Get Crafty. Plain bobbies too boring? Get out the craft box and get busy. Use your favorite nail polish to transform dull brown pins with chic shades of tangerine, fuchsia or turquoise. Whip out the glue stick and apply glitter or tiny coloured stones. Let your pins express the real you!
5. Peek-A-Boo. Summer is ponytail season, which leaves a whole new spot on the head to adorn. Create a bobby-pin “star”–or any other interesting shape–at the base of the ponytail for extra flair. Mist with Joico Power Spray Fast-Drying Finishing Spray to hold pins in place and tame fuzz and flyaways.
6. Half and Half. Set hair on small rollers or a tiny curling iron to create massive, explosive texture. Then add contrast by smoothing one side or the top of the hair with Joico Power Gel Sculpting Gel, and secure with a row of bobby pins.
7. Get Set. Apply Joico Power Whip Whipped Foam to damp hair, wind small sections into pincurls and secure with bobby pins. Set the entire head. At the end of the day, remove the pins and voila! Large, firm, loopy, lovely curls!