By Jonathan Colombini for Joico/celebrity stylist
Raven-haired actress Laura Prepon, one of the stars of the hit series Orange is the New Black, and a former That ‘70s Show cast member, rocked a modern version of the classic French twist for her Emmy red carpet appearance, courtesy of celebrity stylist Jonathan Colombini for Joico. Inspired by the graphic lines of Prepon’s satin, emerald-coloured Gustavo Cadile gown, Colombini combined the iconic hairstyle’s classic shape with updated texture and proportions.
To get the look, Colombini first applied Joico Body Luxe Volumizing Elixir to Prepon’s damp hair, followed by Joico K-PAK Color Therapy Restorative Styling Oil on the ends. Next he power-dried the hair to about 80 per cent dry, and then finished and smoothed all strands with a round brush. To produce a “gritty” interior texture, he applied dry shampoo to dry hair and then misted with Joico’s new Flip Turn Volumizing Finishing Spray, which he calls his “new obsession!” Next, he created a deep side part with a dramatic, side-swept bang and gathered all of Prepon’s hair on one side—a bit higher than where a traditional ponytail would sit when forming a roll–using a bungee elastic. Once secured, he loosened the gathered hair for a more casual, effortless look, then rolled up the ends to fashion the upstyle. Finally, to maintain the “undone” vibe of the style and to create a contemporary texture, he released a few wisps of hair around the hairline and within the crown before setting the look in place with Joico’s new IronClad Thermal Heat Protectant Spray.
“We had a blast getting ready,” said Colombini about being part of Prepon’s Emmy’s “glam squad.” “And thanks to Joico’s new Flip Turn and IronClad sprays, she will be able to feel confident about her hair and enjoy herself all evening!”
Colombini also styled Prepon’s hair for the Variety Aand Women In Film Annual Pre-Emmy Celebration at Gracias Madre, and the 2014 Entertainment Weekly Pre-Emmy Party at Fig & Olive, both in West Hollywood, CA on August 23rd. Here’s Colombini’s easy step-by-step to get her effortless “cover-girl” waves:
- “From wet hair I added add Joico Body Luxe Volumizing Elixir for ultimate body and texture. I added K-PAK Color Therapy Restorative Styling Oil at the ends for smoothness.”
- Round brush blowdry – high pressure and medium temperature. “Adding a soft sexy “Victoria’s Secret” flow gives me a perfect base to add curls,” he says.
- “I added 24-inch clip-in extensions for a 70’s ‘cover-girl’ look, which was our inspiration.”
- Curling about 1/2-inch subjects by wrapping hair around the barrel for about 15 seconds. TIP: “When I release, I tug on the ends to relax as to not get too tight of a curl,” he reveals.
- Colombini finished, saying, “Once complete, I had Laura tip her head over and the final product used was Flip Turn Volumizing Finishing Spray and a few sprits before she walked out the door.”
Joico’s brand-new styling product IronClad Thermal Heat Protectant Spray will be available September 1, 2014 at a salon near you.