To achieve Paulina Vega’s Miss Universe 2015 crowning look, official hair care sponsor, CHI took center-stage. CHI not only created Vega’s styles, but also styled the hair of all 88 contestants from around the world.
During this year’s pageant, CHI used this global platform to launch their product line with the Miss Universe Style Illuminate hair care line. Tammy Mixon, Farouk Systems global board artist and lead hair artist for Miss Universe, shares her step-by-step tips on how to re-create the winning Miss Universe hairstyle at home. CHI hairstylist Julian Macias did all her looks.
- Begin by spritzing the hair with Miss Universe Style Illuminate’s Set the Stage Blow Dry Spray, for intense heat protection from damage and breakage, while eliminating frizz and resisting humidity. The light-weight formulation detangles, smoothes, and softens, while dramatically decreasing blow-dry time. This is needed to get contestants ready quickly for each event.
- Comb-through to evenly distribute, dry hair (with the Miss Universe CHI Professional Hair Dryer), with your hands to remove the bulk of moisture. Then lift the hair at the base to provide ample volume.
- While hair is still slightly damp, section the hair into four parts (top, sides, back and nape).
- Start at the nape area with a large CHI round ceramic brush, finish blow-drying by again, lifting the hair at the root area. Continue to dry the rest of the section by smoothing and rounding the ends under. Continue throughout the entire head.
- Next, take a medium round CHI ceramic brush and wrap larger sections throughout the head, twirling them around the brush. Give each section a blast of hot air followed by cool air to set in the curl.
- While releasing each section, continue to twist as you remove the brush. To create those soft sultry waves, be sure to unwrap the twirl.
- For added curl definition and volume, the Miss Universe CHI 1 ¼” Titanium Curling Iron was used to bump the ends under and to add several more defined curls. The base was sprayed with Restage Dry Shampoo for added lift and texture. This will also absorb any perspiration and oils due to warm temperatures.
- To finish, spray with Rock Your Crown Firm Hair Spray for the perfect hold during quick changes. Don’t forget to mist the hair with Spotlight Shine Spray to add shine and glisten.